Frequently asked questions

Students walking in VisbyStudying abroad is a rewarding and exciting experience. You will move to a new country, start a new undergraduate course, and meet a lot of wonderful new people. However, there are several important things that you will need to take care of beforehand. 

We have collected some of the most frequently asked questions we get from prospective international students here. Should you have any further questions, please contact Uppsala University's International Office on or

Important dates

Autumn 2021 Application Timeline for Bachelor's Programmes

16 October 2020 - Online application period opens
15 January 2021 - Application period closes
1 February 2021 - Deadline for supplying supporting academic documents for all applicants, and either documentation of fee exempt status OR receipt of application fee depending on which option is applicable in your case.
16 April 2021 - Notification of selection results 

Autumn 2021 Application Timeline for Master's Programmes

16 October 2020 - Online application period opens
15 January 2021 - Application period closes
1 February 2021 - Deadline for supplying supporting academic documents for all applicants, and either documentation of fee exempt status OR receipt of application fee depending on which option is applicable in your case. Statement of purpose and digital portfolio item/s sent to .
9 April 2021 - Notification of selection results

The Autumn Term 2021 begins on August 30 2021.


How do I apply to any of your degree programmes?
All prospective students apply centrally and electronically for courses and programmes through the website

On their website you will find a quick guide over the whole application process.

Please note that students who are in their last year of upper secondary studies are generally recommended to wait until they’ve completed their studies before applying to our Bachelor’s programmes. 

Entry requirements

Which entry requirements do I need to meet in order to study Game Design?
In order to be offered a place you must first meet certain general and specific entry requirements.

The general requirements to the Bachelor's programmes are a successfully completed upper secondary (high school) education and proficiency in English. Proof of skills in English is normally attested by means of an internationally recognised test, e.g. TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent. The entry requirement for studies at the Bachelor's level in Sweden is the equivalent of the Swedish upper secondary course English 6/English B.

The specific entry requirements for each Bachelor's programme are:
Game Design and Graphics: Mathematics 2a/2b/2c, or Mathematics B or equivalent
Game Design and Programming: Mathematics 3c, or Mathematics D (advanced Mathematics)
Game Design and Project Management: Mathematics 2a/2b/2c, or Mathematics B or equivalent

A general guide to the different levels of Mathematics in Swedish Upper Secondary School is explained here, "Guide to Swedish upper secondary courses". 

Finding accomodation

How can I find accomodation in Visby, Gotland?
To find accommodation in Visby, please go to the Student Union Rindi’s website

You can also find useful information on arranging accomodation on the Campus Gotland website.

Financing your studies

Do I have to pay tuition fees?
For citizens of countries outside of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, application and tuition fees are required. Read more about fees.

Application fee: SEK 900
Tuition fee, first semester for Bachelor's programmes: SEK 55000
Tuition fee, total (3 years): SEK 330000

Tuition fee, first semester for Master's programme: SEK 60000
Tuition fee, total (2 years): SEK 240000

Do I need to prove that I can support myself during my studies?
International students must be able to support themselves financially for the duration of their studies. The Swedish Migration Board requires students to have at least SEK 8010 per month. If you intend to study for a year or more, you must be able to show support for yourself for at least 10 months of the year. Students who are citizens of EU/EEA countries do not have to prove that they have SEK 8010 per month at their disposal. They do, however, have to sign a document stating that they can support themselves while living and studying in Sweden.

Living in Sweden can be costly, and SEK 8010 per month is the absolute minimum amount of money that you will require. It is important to remember that the cost of living will vary from person to person, depending on their lifestyle. Aside from rent and food, students will have expenses such as textbooks, transportation and socialising. 

What is the cost of living in Sweden?
The Study in Sweden website has a wealth of information on everything related to studying in Sweden, as well as some information on the cost of living.

Can I work during my studies?
You are allowed to work while in Sweden as a student, BUT please note that it is generally
difficult to find a job in Sweden if you cannot speak Swedish. Furthermore, there is a lot of competition for part-time jobs as there are a lot of students looking to work part-time. We strongly recommend that you have your financing secured before coming to Sweden to study.

All of the Game Design Bachelor's programmes are based on full-time study (approximately 40 hours per week), and the time of classes vary, for instance you could have a full day of classes on Tuesdays and half a day on Thursdays and so on, and as participation in the classroom is expected for campus students it is important to take this into consideration if you hope to work as well as study.

Can I get a job at the university to help finance my studies?
Uppsala University does not regularly employ students as teaching assistants or research assistants which is common at, for example, American universities, nor do we have any specific work-study programmes for students. University departments might employ exceptionally talented students for research projects, but you should never count on being able to find a job at the university.

How can I find a job in Sweden?
You can find general information about working in Sweden at the website of the Swedish Public Employment Service and on the Working in Sweden site.  

Applying for a residence permit

Do I need a residence permit to study in Sweden?
If you are a citizen of a non-EU/EEA country, you need a residence permit.
To obtain a residence permit in time for the start of the semester, it is strongly recommended that you apply as soon as possible after you have paid your tuition installment. This is done through the Swedish Migration Board, Migrationsverket. You must apply for the permit from your country of origin, or from the country where you are legally residing. Your permit must be valid before you can enter Sweden. This also applies to students who hold a residence permit for a country within the European Union. If your stay in Sweden exceeds three months, the permit must be complete before you enter the country. 

How do I apply for a residence permit?
You can submit an application online through the Swedish Migration Board’s website after you have received your admissions notification.

HealtHcare and insurance

Do I have access to public medical services in Sweden as an EU/EEA or Nordic citizen?
By registering with the social insurance office in your home country and obtaining a European Health Insurance card before your arrival, you will have access to public medical services in Sweden. You will need to present this card when seeking medical or dental care.

Students who cannot register with their own social insurance office in their home country and thus cannot present an EU insurance card, can get in touch with  to receive information about other insurance options.

The Nordic countries have a special agreement, allowing Nordic students to seek medical and dental care in Sweden by providing a valid form of photo ID and an address in their home country.

Do I have access to public medical services in Sweden as a non-EU/EEA citizen?
If you have a Swedish residence permit that is valid for at least 12 months then you are entitled to receive the same healthcare benefits as Swedish citizens. However, to get access to these healthcare benefits you must register as a resident at the Swedish Tax Agency, Skatteverket, as soon as you have a permanent address in Sweden. To register, you must make a personal visit to one of the Swedish Tax Agency’s offices and provide them with your passport, proof of registration as a student, and residence permit. In doing so, you will also receive a Swedish civic registration number (personnummer). While it can take time to receive your Swedish civic registration number, as long as you can show that you have registered as a resident , you can receive medical coverage.

Please note that Swedish healthcare benefits do not apply while travelling to and from Sweden or the time you spend in the country before registering at the Swedish Tax Agency. 

Do I need property insurance? 
Even if you are living in student accommodation, it is recommended that you purchase property insurance. The housing providers do not cover theft, loss or damage of your personal belongings. While Sweden is a very safe place, theft does unfortunately occur, especially with items such as bicycles.

Are students covered by insurance through the university?
All students at Uppsala University are covered by accident insurance while on the university premises and on their way to and from school. 

Uppsala University students who have paid the tuition fee, or receive a scholarship for the tuition fee, are insured through the university via Kammarkollegiet, FAS+. Students are covered for accidents, emergency medical and dental care, transportation home in the event of an accident, liability, legal rights and up to SEK 20 000 in property. The insurance applies 24 hours a day, seven days a week in the Schengen area, with the exception of property coverage which only applies in Sweden.